The International Hurricane Research Center and Miami-Dade County Emergency Management Department have joined forces with the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science to offer a day of hurricane preparation activities for families on Saturday, May 30, with free admission all day to the Miami Science Museum.
Activities for adults and children at “Feel the Force” will include:
- A chance to meet the mascot Owlie from NOAA’s Young Meteorologist Program.
- An opportunity for kids to be a TV meteorologist in the Hurricane Broadcast Center.
- Meet and greet with real hurricane hunters.
- Challenge yourself to outsmart the experts, including Curt Sommerhoff of Miami-Dade County Emergency Management and Max Mayfield of WPLG Local 10 ABC .
- Build a house and see if it can stand up to Category 5 winds at FIU’s mini Wall of Wind (WOW) exhibit.
- Music, games, and prizes powered by Radio Disney Miami.
- Interactive, disaster-themed storytime featuring characters from Miami-Dade Public Library.
- Learn about hurricane evacuation zones from Miami-Dade County Emergency Management and the American Red Cross.
- Get a handy weather-proof hurricane folder from City National Bank and learn what important documents to store there to protect them from the storm.