Broward county is filled with several muncipal areas including Coconut Creek, Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Davie and spans a large diverse subtropical area. Broward county, with a population of almost 1.8 million people, is the second most populous in the state. With Fort Lauderdale as its seat, Broward is a heavily urbanized county. Aside from its pristine beaches and emerald green waters, residents of Broward can look forward to many world class indoor recreational opportunities in their county. Regardless of you and your family's interests, whether it is theater, malls, sports, or museums, you will find that Broward has plenty to offer for the whole family. Beat the heat and get in from the rain. Broward has plenty to offer families for recreation and entertainment away from the intense South Florida elements.
As mentioned above, Broward is an intensely urban space, being part of the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area. This has resulted in a proliferation of some world class malls in Broward that are much more than a mere shopping destination. These malls are lifestyle destinations where you can enjoy a range of activities, from browsing the latest in fashion from luxury brands to enjoying fine cuisine from all over the world, in air conditioned comfort. For families with young kids, malls are a perfect destination on hot summer days as some have dedicated play areas for children as well as fun activities for them.
1) Westfield Broward Shopping Mall, located at W Broward Boulevard, in Plantation
2) Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall, located at West Sunrise Boulevard, in Sunrise
3) Coral Square Mall, located at West Atlantic Boulevard, in Coral Springs
4) Pembroke Lakes Mall, located at Pines Boulevard, Pembroke Pines
5) Festival Flea Market Mall, located in Pompano Beach
6) Ft. Lauderdale Swap Shop
For the artsy people among you, who want nothing but a day spent surrounded by the best of human creativity, a trip to an arts museum is a must. In Broward, there are impressive art museums that house works of art from some of the most distinguished artists, representing a range of time period, forms, movements, and styles. From pop cartoon art, to minimalist sculptures, a trip to museums in Broward would both thrill and educate you. As an added bonus, these museums also run special classes for kids, including visual arts, dance, and acting, turning themselves into a perfect venue for the whole family. In particular, the following two museums are worth a special mention.
1) NSU Museum of Art, located at One E Las Olas Boulevard, in Fort Lauderdale (children under 12 , FREE)
2) Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, located at Harrison Street, Hollywood ($4 for students, seniors, and children ages 4 to 17)
3) Young at Art Children's Museum, located in Davie
Science Museums and Centers
One of the best ways to enjoy science is through watching it in action. For many of us, our love story with science was sparked on a trip to a science center, with many of the wondrous scientific achievements of mankind demonstrated in an awe inspiring fashion. In Broward, you will have the chance to enjoy some world class science museums and centers, designed to thrill and delight people of all ages. They also have a strong local accent, educating people about the nearby marine ecology and the wetlands of the Everglades.
Here are the top two science centers that should be on your must visit list.
While many may get their kicks from science and arts, there are some who want nothing more than discovering and admiring historical artifacts. For those of you who want to delve into the world of antiquities, learn about our nation's past narrated through unique exhibits, and discover the beautiful world of Native Americans, Broward has an impressive line up of quality museums preserving our historical remnants. Here is your list.
1) Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum, located at SW 1st Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
2) Old Dillard Museum, located at NW 4th Street, Fort Lauderdale
3) Old Fort Lauderdale Museum of History, located at SW 2nd Avenue, Fort lauderdale
UPCOMING PAGE: Indoor Sports, Libraries, Theaters, Indoor Play Centers & Nature Centers!